Monday, May 11, 2009

The Story of Earth Satellites (1957)




Somehow I find it terribly exciting how Sputnik and the IGY changed people's minds about space flight. Up until 1957 if you mentioned space flight or published a book it had to show brave space men (and women) flying to the moon and fighting aliens. Suddenly the everyday person had to learn more about this new word "satellite".




This is a pamphlet that came with Reploge Globes. When you bought the globe this pamphlet helped you understand that something could actually fly around it!




There must have been a burst of interest in the Earth as a sphere as people realized that it really was round, so globes had a resurgence.




1 comment:

  1. I just found a copy at a rummage sale in northern California. I remember going outside at night and sitting on my brother's or dad's shoulders searching the night sky for Sputnik or perhaps Echo. One of my earliest childhood memories.
    kbpinkerton@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete