Friday, February 17, 2012

My Weekly Reader February 1958

 February 3, 1958
 My Weekly Reader was always a little behind the "real" news so the success of Vanguard took a little time to be brought to the attention of school children. When it did appear it was presented as the first step in our travel to the moon and beyond.

 February 17, 1958





 Sorry for the incomplete page but I like both the "Message to young Americans" from Von Braun and the last line of the cherry pie champion of Canada!

"I can hardly wait for space travel to start. I'm pretty sure the red color of the planet Mars comes from the juice of cherry pies!"


A very incomplete page, but gives the sense of how children were being told this was the most important moment of history they were going to be living through.

No comments:

Post a Comment