Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Your Trip Into Space (1953)


One of the fun things about blogging about my books is analyzing them in new ways. Right now 1953 is my leading year for space books and ephemera. This one makes the 21st book in that category and truthfully I don't remember very much about it. I didn't bother to pull this out of my archives so all I have here are some badly made scans.

(1953) Poole, Lynn. Illustrated by Geary, Clifford. Your Trip into Space. New York: Whittlesey House. (224 p.) 21 cm.



The illustrator Clifford Geary did a number of children's books and has a nice loose style of drawing.

While not realistic in the least he does convey information and livens up the text.

Space travel covers a lot of subjects so most of these early space books were trying to teach children physics, space medicine, engineering, and maybe some communications technology. Better yet it needed to be taught in a basic way so they could build on the concepts of what the future might bring.




As I have noted before, I can't imagine many of the writers or illustrators imagined when they were creating these books that space flight and a moon landing were going to be in the immediate lifetime of their readers. So if you read this book at age 10 you were around 26 when they landed on the Moon. Which predictions do you think will come true in the next 16 years?

1 comment:

  1. This is a really good one! I reviewed this one on my site a while back.

    ReplyDelete