Thursday, July 16, 2009

By Space Ship to the Moon (1952)





Even if I have blogged this before, I need to do this one for "moon week". This was arguably the first non-fiction book for children about a moon mission. Many people have fond memories of these images and have shared with me how classic this book is/was.


Coggins, Jack and Pratt, Fletcher. Illustrated by Coggins, Jack. By Spaceship to the Moon. New York: Random House. (56 p.) 29 cm.


A follow-up to their 1951 book "Rockets, Jets, Guided Missiles, and Space Ships", this book focuses on the spaceflight progression needed for a Moon mission. It discusses who pays for space flight, design of space suits, launch vehicles, a space station, developing the Moonship, landing on the Moon, and the construction of a Moon base. Once again illustrated with wonderful paintings by Jack Coggins of all the steps needed to get to the Moon.






Also a 1958 edition, with slight updating.

2 comments:

  1. I still have my copy which was one of my favorite books as a child. I had the 1958 version, and a few years ago obtained the 1952 edition on eBay.



    http://smeghead2068.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in this book for years when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete