Friday, February 8, 2019

Journey to Mars (1968)


The next in the "Adventures In Space" series is Journey to Mars.

Journey to Mars (1-3). Sheila McCullagh. Illustrated by G Alfo Quin. Belmont, CA : Lear Siegler, Inc. (3 x 32 p.) Softcover

 First a journey to the Moon where they will launch for Mars.


 We get a nice tour of the Moon Base as the astronaut gets ready for the next stage of his journey.













 A nice short description of their Mars Base. It has a greenhouse and uses birds to monitor the oxygen supply.

 This ends up getting pretty dark for a children's story about spaceflight.  The predecessor to "The Martian".






If there seemed to be pages missing. It is because I selected pages to tell the 3 book story so it jumps a little.

2 comments:

  1. These illustrations, as well as the ones from the previous post by the same author, are fantastic! I'd love to track these books down but really appreciate that you've shared these illustrations on your website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had these Sheila McCullagh books at my junior school when I was a kid, and I swear I've spent the last thirty or so years trying to work out what they were and who they were by. Thank you so much for at last allowing me to sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete