Friday, April 21, 2017

"My Weekly Reader" Oct 5, 1959 "The Weather is Changing."



Oct 5, 1959

A few more space related issues of "My Weekly Reader".  This article is in celebration of Earth Day on April 22.

I recently acquired a few more issues of this "ephemeral" school newspaper.  I get consistent comments about how they are both difficult to find and bring back the "space race" many of us experienced. 

So here is an article from late 1959.

In a topical way this article is still current since it is about climate change. But back in 1959 it also discusses how someday we might control the weather with satellites.


 I do appreciate this quote: "Today the weather picture is changing faster. Man is 'helping' nature change the weather."

But more interesting in a look back from 2017 is this: "Carbon dioxide is a gas found in the air. Living things need a little carbon dioxide. Soon, there may be too much...Carbon dioxide acts like a heat trap. It is making the earth warmer."

So the fact that climate change is occuring is not a new idea, even in the late 1950s something was changing.
..."automobiles and smokestacks are changing our weather much faster than H-bombs."




2 comments:

  1. Interesting as always. I wonder in what grade these Weekly Readers were used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG -- I was 10 years old, my sister and I read these... obviously that's where I was radicalized!

    thanks for finding and posting these.

    ReplyDelete