Monday, March 14, 2011

Quaker "Space Flight to the Moon" (1953)

One of my favorite early set of space flight images are those from the back of some cereal boxes. In 1953 Quaker Oats featured "Space Flight to the Moon" on the back of Puffed Rice and Puffed Wheat Cereal. 

These were three dimensional images you could cut out and assemble for your own space dioramas. While I do not have all 8 parts I would like to show off  images of the series that I have found or I own. Note all description include an exclamation point!


Number one was the "Space Port!"


Number two was "Rocket Ship...Away!"

Number three was "Stopover at Space Island!"

Numbers four was "Passing Space Liner!"



Number five was "Wing Repair in Outer Space!"




Number six was "Target -- Moon!" and number seven was "Landing on Moon!"




Number eight was "Exploring the Moon!" As a long-time reader of the backs of cereal boxes as I ate breakfast, I can only image how these pictures sparked imaginations.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, as always! However, my grumpy inner-english teacher wants to point out that you probably meant to say "exclamation point," not "explanation point."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I get these? Don't see anything from this set floating around on eBay, but would LOVE to have these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://projectswordtoys.blogspot.com/2020/04/space-flight-to-moon.html

    ReplyDelete