Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Golden Book of Astronomy (1955)


As I mentioned before, some of the best space art is in the children's astronomy books. This one stars the art of John Polgreen, one of my favorite space artists. He went on to illustrate a number of my favorite space books from the 1950s.




Wyler, Rose and Ames, Gerald. Illustrated by Polgreen, John. The Golden Book of Astronomy: A Child's Introduction to the Wonders of Space. New York: Golden Press. (97 p.) 33 cm.



Text focuses on astronomy with illustrations of the Moon, planetary surfaces, the solar system, and star maps. Last section includes illustrations of astronauts and rockets. Also 1959, 1965 editions.










6 comments:

  1. Hi John,

    I found your blog by accident...just purchased some children's books about outer space from 1961, reprinted in Spanish in 1970.

    This blog is great! You've given me a new bibliography on outer space books from the 1950s and 1960s. I'm passionate about astronomy and astronomy illustrations from this era!
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this book since childhood and often return to it when inspired to go out into the night for some nostalgic astronomy.

    My copy has certainly seen some use over the years and I must agree that the illustrations are amazing.

    casotti

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have this book. It inspired my interest in space and sf. Still miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book started my career in science 58 years ago. I still have it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents got me this book for Christmas when I was around 10 years old. Awesome memories. Must find another copy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. does any have access to this book ? is there a picture drawing of future humans might look like?

    ReplyDelete